Based on my research and experience, main pain points that medium and small size ecommerce companies in the US face include many connected to UX and design:
1. Poor Navigation: Many ecommerce websites have a complex and confusing navigation system that makes it difficult for visitors to find what they are looking for. This leads to frustration and higher bounce rates, resulting in lower conversion rates.
2. Slow Load Times: Slow load times are a major issue for ecommerce websites, especially on mobile devices. Customers are not willing to wait long for pages to load and will quickly abandon the site if it takes too long.
3. Lack of Mobile Optimization: With more people shopping on their mobile devices, it is essential that ecommerce websites are fully optimized for mobile. Many small and medium-sized businesses fail to do this, resulting in a poor user experience and lower conversion rates.
4. Inconsistent Design: Inconsistent design can make a website look unprofessional and confusing. This can lead to a lack of trust in the brand and lower conversion rates.
5. Poor Product Descriptions: Many ecommerce websites fail to provide detailed and informative product descriptions, which can make it difficult for customers to make informed purchase decisions.
6. Cart and check out process problems. Is your ecommerce website losing customers at the final step of the purchasing process? Let us help you optimize your cart and payment process with user-friendly design to increase conversions and customer satisfaction.”
The above pain points are the most common causes of low conversion rates and cart abandonment. Small and medium-sized ecommerce companies often discuss and complain about these issues on forums and Facebook groups. They are most likely to hire help from UX consultants and website designers to help them overcome these challenges.
Ecommerce companies are most likely to be interested in topics such as mobile optimization, user experience design, website speed optimization, and product description optimization. They would be willing to educate themselves by buying courses, trainings, and ebooks related to these topics to improve their website’s design and user experience.
I am working on the big course regarding this topic. This will be a focus of my interest for the next months.